Publications and Resources
We aim to support NHS staff and our partners with expert advice and guidance.
Here you will find a range of resources and publications that we have produced to support our mission to make the most of our natural environment to improve health and wellbeing both for people and the planet.
- Document: Greenspace and Health Strategic Framework for Edinburgh and the Lothians (3.3 MB)
- Policy review: Greenspace and Health Annex 1 (640 KB)
- Evidence review: Greenspace and Health Annex 2 (414 KB)
- Logic model – Greenspace and Health: Greenspace and Health Annex 3 (84 KB)
- Logic model – Interventions in Greenspace: Greenspace and Health Annex 4 (101 KB)
- GIS map of 2019 activity: Greenspace and Health Annex 5 (1 MB)
- Key site summaries (2019): Greenspace and Health Annex 6 (1.3 MB)
- Case studies (2019): Greenspace and Health Annex 7 (564 KB)
- Priorities for action (2019): Greenspace and Health Annex 8 (134 KB)
- Illustrated Summary: Biodiversity Climate Change Assessment Summary (2.5 MB)
- Full Report: NHS Lothian Biodiversity and Climate Change Assessment (7.9 MB)
Green Social Prescribing Report
- Summary: Green Health Prescribing Briefing (141 KB)
- Full report: Green Health Prescribing Report (2 MB)
- Supplementary information: Lothian-GHP-Consultation-Summary-Lived-Experience (748 KB)
Midlothian Green Social Prescribing Project
Evaluation: Full report (2.2MB)
- Evaluation Report written by Matter in Focus.
Project Partners: Midlothian Health and Social Care Partnership, Health in Mind, Ageing Well, Cyrenians, MAEDT
Useful external links
- Centre for Sustainable Healthcare is a registered charity that develops knowledge and resources to support the NHS and other health systems to reach net zero carbon and wider sustainability. https://sustainablehealthcare.org.uk/
- Space to breath is a research project that shows how gardens and other greenspaces at hospital sites have an important role to play in supporting NHS staff wellbeing. https://nhsforest.org/projects/space-to-breathe-study-shows-value-of-nhs-green-space-for-staff-wellbeing/
- The Better Outside Ideas Source Book has quick, cheap and simple examples from £5 per person, through to more ambitious projects which would require professional support and planning. Better outside ideas book
- Our Natural Health Service shows how Scotland’s natural environment is a resource that can be used to help tackle some of our key health issues. The initiative aims to bring about a step change in the use of nature-based solutions to deliver health outcomes.
- Groundswell is a large programme of work in three cities – Belfast, Edinburgh and Liverpool – focusing on developing, supporting and evaluating community urban green and blue spaces to promote health and wellbeing for all. Groundswell – Transforming our cities from the ground up (ed.ac.uk)
Organisations we work with
We work with a wide range of partners to deliver our vision. These organisations can often provide help and advice to make the most of the NHS estate. Find out more about these partners by visiting our Become a Partner page.
Become a partner
We often work with mental health services and areas that have long stay patients. In communities, we are focused on reducing health inequalities and work with organisations that share our intention to improve health for those most in need. We are always interested in hearing about new opportunities, so get in touch if you want to discuss how, together, we can support NHS Lothian patients and staff.